Monday, September 6, 2010

fall forward


I love the fall. I know it's not officially fall yet, but I can feel it coming. The air is a little crisper, it's getting cooler, and everything smells a little better. Fall has always felt like even more of a relief and awakening to me than spring does after winter. Maybe it's because I always liked going back to school. Maybe it's because I'm most comfortable trotting around the city in a cozy sweater and old jeans. Maybe my Irish blood is aching for a little of it's native climate. Whatever it is, fall always feels like the beginning of a new year and a clean slate.



I don't have a recipe to share just yet (we're still working through a huge crop of tomatoes from the backyard), but I'm looking forward to the fall veggies showing up in the market again. I can't wait for more crates of gorgeous kabocha squash like the ones in the heading photo on this page, and I'm looking forward to Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes and parsnips.

One of the reasons the fall food has been on my mind again is because I'm planning dinner for another fundraiser at the Bushwick Starr. It's going to be a hearty family style dinner for thirty guests, and I'm a little nervous and very excited.

There will be cocktail hour hors d'oeuvres (which I had a fun idea for that I think I want to keep a surprise), a sit-down dinner, dessert, and take-away breakfast treats for the next morning as a little thank you to the guests for coming.

The Starr has not made an official announcement yet as to the date, but if any of you are interested in being one at a table of thirty fabulous people for a fall feast, check for details coming up here and on their website at www.thebushwickstarr.org

Before too long I hope to have a separate page for the catering branch of Dining In, a separate page for holistic nutrition counseling, and this blog as well. Phew.

ALSO coming soon I will have some beautiful professional photos of my food to show off, thanks to the amazing Sue Kessler (photographer) and Melissa Center of LMB Productions whose premiere event I catered last week.



Please check out Melissa's webisodes Missed Connections.

Alright, it's much too lovely a day to be sitting at the computer any longer. I'm going to the park. Mmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment